Saturday, November 3, 2012

The sketch and final art for pg.s 20/21 of "Thank You Sarah, The Woman Who Saved Thankgiving!", written by Laurie Halse Anderson, illus.d by me and publ.d by Simon&Schuster. Working with Laurie's text was so much fun. The voice she created for the narration is smart and sassy- perfect for your third or forth grader. And I had the best time working with the editor, Kevin Lewis, on this project. He allowed me lots of flexibility and space to play, as per my inclusion of "It's Thanksgiving! Do you know where your turkey is?". There was a t.v. ad being shown at the time that said- "It's 10 o'clock- do you know where your kid is?" It was funny to me to use that popular line- slightly altered- in the illustration. Not every editor would've gone along with that because historical fiction tends to need illustration that stays very close to it's historic source. Kevin thought is was funny too. Since the book is still in print, I'm guessing some other folks enjoyed it as well! Pencil, pen&ink, water color, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment